Harmony House believes that volunteers are a fundamental part of the services offered to abused women and their children. Volunteers complement the existing services and enable the program to provide intensive support to women. Involvement of volunteers increases community participation and community awareness about violence against women.
We ensure that all our volunteers are given full orientation and training, are provided with clear directions, and are recognized and appreciated for their work. We expect our volunteers to take their commitment seriously, maintain total confidentiality, and contribute to the environment of fairness, respect, and teamwork.
Volunteer positions onsite at the house are:
- Childcare: Provide a constructive recreational and social experience to youth (6 months – 17 years). In doing so, this provides mothers an opportunity to partake in programming offered by Harmony House.
- Food bank: Provide assistance with our weekly food bank delivery. This service provides much needed food to current and ex-residents and their children.
Offsite opportunities are:
- Special events: Provide assistance with a variety of special events such as galas, third party fundraisers, community events, and university fares. In doing so, you assist in raising much needed financial support and increaseing public awareness about violence against women in support of survivors.
- Social action committee: Work on education, awareness, and social action projects related to the issue of violence against women.
- Public relations committee: Increase awareness of Harmony House and build capacity to offer authoritative commentary on relevant social issues, shaping the conversation around VAW.
- Fundraising committee : Raise funds to aid the operation of Harmony House and raise awareness of the issue of violence against women.
If you would like to volunteer onsite or offsite* at Harmony House, you must:
- Have feminist and anti-oppressive beliefs;
- Have a women- and children-positive attitude;
- Be 18 years or older and female;
- Complete a vulnerable sector police record check;
- Have the ability to understand and maintain confidentiality.
* We welcome volunteers of all genders to our offsite events.
If you are interested in volunteering, please fill our online volunteer application form or fill our PDF volunteer application form and e-mail it to our volunteer coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We offer student placements for students from Carleton University, University of Ottawa, St. Paul’s University, and Algonquin College.
Please contact email@example.com or call the office for inquiries on doing your student placement with Harmony House.
Our Board of Directors is a group of 8 – 13 women from a variety of backgrounds. The Board meets 10 times a year to discuss and review Harmony House operations, finances, governance, advocacy, HR issues, and fundraising. We welcome new members who meet the following criteria:
- Over 18 years old;
- Supportive of our Mission Statement.
Prospective members attend 3 meetings to determine if they are a good fit. Members are elected for two-year terms.
Board members have the opportunity to become members of our committees.
If you would like to discuss joining our Board, please contact us or email the President.